A lot of people asked me about what nutritional suppliments I took after I had my daughter while still working out and indeed losing some of that baby weight. So, over the next few weeks, I am going to review the main supplements that I took in my baby weight loss journey!
I only used ATP (Athletic Therapeutic Pharma) the entire time, and I had some pretty phenomenal results.
The reason why I chose this line was due to its purity, simple and effective ingredients and lack of fillers. As a nursing mommy I wanted to ensure what was fuelling me was going to be safe for babe, while still beneficial for mom.
MYTH: You cannot lose weight and gain muscle at the same time
Here are two bod pod test results I did at AIM Health Clinic over 6 months :
*Note BodPod bodyfat test results have an over 90% accuracy, which is better than calipers which averages at 40-50% accuracy*
|Lean Body Mass||120.2 lbs||
|Body fat lbs||50.8 lbs||2 9.07 lbs|
So not only did I lose nearly 20lbs of bodyfat, I also put on almost 4lbs of muscle!
Since I was breastfeeding, I was very limited to supplements but here was my regime:
- ATP IBCAA
- ATP New Zeleand Whey Protein
- ATP Fish Oil : Omega3
- ATP Vitamin D
- ATP Magnesium
- ATP Total Defence Multivitamin
Today I am going to specifically cover the IBCAA’s s and why I started off this post with my weight loss/muscle retention point.
IBCAA’s (Instantized Branched Chain Amino Acids)
- Ajipure amino acids by Ajinomoto, the world’s top sourced supplier and the highest quality amino acids worldwide
- 100% Pure
- Instantly soluble and fully absorbable, unlike standard BCAA’s
- No artificial sweeteners or colouring
- No taste. It mixes well into water, protein powder or smoothie
- Bcaas (valine, leucine and isoleucine) are the primary aminos responsible for muscle synthesis, preventing muscle breakdown, and are an excellent non-stimulant/non-hormonal source of muscle endurance
- Highly beneficial in reducing muscle soreness and recuperation
- Buffers lactic acid
Why I LOVED this (as an athlete and a mommy)
- This is a pure and clean way to get in BCAA’s, that I did not have to worry about while nursing my baby
- It allowed me to retain and eventually BUILD muscle while losing my baby weight
- At times, I had to do a morning workout or cardio right after nursing my baby, and before eating (basically before my daughter would wake up again). I would drink these back while training to prevent muscle loss
- Already tired and slow with recovery from nursing, late nights and being a busy mom, the IBCAA’s helped me with my recovery time and helping mommy be more efficient at everything I did!
- While training some times I would feel dips in my glycogen and once I started taking BCAA’s, due to the Isoleucine in this formula, I was able to regulate my glycogen levels again
- The PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING. By adding in these BCAA’s I was able to maintain and INCREASE my muscle mass while still losing a large amount of weight.
- The last thing I noticed was in my body composition. In previous years I did not supplement with BCAA’s. I feel personally the addition of the BCAA’s has helped me maintain my muscle mass, and where previous times that I would lose weight, I would not lose it proportionately. Mostly in my upper body and last in my hips. This time around I noticed a gradual and symmetrical weight lost in my upper and lower half!
If you have any questions please feel free to comment!